Saturday, February 13, 2010

My Day - so far!

Beadraich - With my first day of work out of the way, I now have an even bigger respect for everyone who works tirelessly to put on any ski race. Whether it's the people at Osler Bluff or Chicopee, or the Weasels and Sled Dogs putting on World Cup calibre races the work is exhausting.

I started today with my alarm clock going off at 3:20am, so I could be at Creekside, checked in and ready for breakfast at 4:00am. I arrived a few minutes early and had breakfast, coffee, and watched the news broadcasts of yesterdays tragedy and opening ceremonies.

We heard early on that the Men's Downhill was postponed and we would be working on a new schedule, but no one knew exactly what that schedule was. Rob, my Crew Chief found me and informed me that we would be "Loading" at 6:30. So, I waited and eventually saddled up the gondola and we made our way up, and then skied down to the Garbanzo chair in the dark. Night skiing at Whistler is a little different than Chicopee as the only lights are security lights for the Olympics.

Bootpacking, sideslipping, B-Fencing, bootpacking and more bootpacking made up my first day before we worked our way down and eventually to Chickpee. Chickpee is the crew replenishment station positioned near the start of the Dave Murray Downhill Course, and is a welcome refuge from the cold and wind. (they also have really good soup)

Now for some descriptions, B-Fencing is the first fence that a skier will encounter in a crash and is designed to give way and gently slow the skier while absorbing some energy. This is different than A-Fencing that is in place and under high tension to spring a skier back towards the course, should they make it past the B-Fencing. Bootpacking is a tireless stomping up and down of ones skis and usually done in groups to pack a portion of the race course. Sideslipping is the only method of travel on the race course. It is a sideways slipping of the skis in order to not create ruts or in anyway damage the race course. It's also what you may see on TV in between racers to smooth out corners and ruts on the race course.

Woodsy and I may visit the Weasel House tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment