Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Less than a week.

Beadraich – I grew up in a house. Most of us did. But my house was a particularly interesting place for two weeks, every 4 winters. The magic of the Winter Olympics was often talked about for weeks, even months before a day in February when the Opening Ceremonies would take place. After those Ceremonies, we would spend countless hours watching Cross Country Skiing, Figure Skating, Biathalon, Speedskating, and many other events while I personally waited for the three events that actually had a resemblance to sport as I knew it, Hockey, Alpine, and Bobsled.

7 days from now, I will be realizing a lifelong dream to participate in the 3rd Olympics to be held in Canada. A dream that started out as a dream to go the Olympics as an athlete, and later became a dream to go as a spectator, has changed into going as a volunteer. I have been heard to say that as an athlete I have a whole lotta heart, and not a lick of talent. I first said that as an explanation for falling off of a downhill mountain bike at the bottom of Blue Mountain, but it holds true to a lot my athletic endeavours. Now, this is not a recipe that makes an Olympic calibre athlete, but it’s the perfect recipe for a Volunteer.

So it is with heart and not talent that Woodsy and I will embark on this adventure. This trip has become even more special for both of us as we get to bring each of you who follows this blog along with us to share in some of our unique experiences. Whether it’s family, friends, co-workers or clients who are reading this, each time you have asked when we leave, or if we are excited yet, has been a great encouragement and reminder that we are about to embark on something unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment