Saturday, January 30, 2010

-23, Morning Coffee Ramblings.

Beadraich - It was 23 below freezing this morning as I trudged my way outside to start a car that was resistant to waking up in such frigid conditions. It came to life after a couple of revolutions, but you could hear the displeasure in the engine, and under the tires as the car rolled forward to begin the journey to Tim Horton's for my morning "me time".

After getting my paper, checking the lottery tickets that screamed "you can't retire yet", I sat down with my morning coffee in Thornbury. As always seems to be the case on cold wintery mornings there was only a few snowplow drivers warming up inside with their diesel engines running outside. There is an interesting sense of this is how life should be, as I sit and observe the conversations surrounding snow, the Leafs, Canada's Alpine medal chances and life in general. A ski instructor enters for his breakfast and coffee, and quickly begins a conversation about the cold until his friend a "lifty" walks in. It is quickly decided that on days like today, Lifties have the coldest job in the world.

So with warm thoughts of the early morning life of a small town, and special respect for Lifties, I head back into the cold for a return journey to the chalet. It is along this drive, as I watch a spectacular sunrise I reflect on just how lucky I am.

So, after almost 2 years, as we are less than a week and half away from departure, and the pre-vacation butterflies are in my tummy, I hear the ski hills calling my name.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It is always amazing to think of a long journey coming to fruition!

    Please tell me you are going to blog while you are there and post lots of photos! My blog friends have been asking me to refer them to blogs by people who are at the games!

    I can do some promo for you on my blog if you are going to document the sights and sounds while you are there!

    ReplyDelete