Monday, October 12, 2009

Whistler Transportation

Beadraich - Along with the excitement of new sites, and experiences to explore, travel to a new community is always full of a little bit of anxiety for me. It's just that I'm quite used to what lies next door, or around each corner in Guelph, and I don't have that security elsewhere. So, one of the things that I've always enjoyed is reading maps. Yep, just staring at a map and wondering how do you get there from here.

Today, I've spent some time trying to figure out how to complete our transportation plans, looking at maps of Whistler to acclimatize myself with what surrounds our accomodations, and researching how to get to Whistler from Vancouver Airport. I've discovered that Pacific Coach offers an Airport to Hotel/Condo door service which is perfect, since we will have ski's and gear, as well as our usual clothing, laptops, and camera's. We will be booking this in advance to ensure seating for the 3 hour ride to Whistler.

Now, for VANOC 2010, the communities along the Sea to Sky corridor have a significantly improved public transit network, and we will now have a Whistler bus almost at our door step. This is going to be needed when I have to be on the hill at 5:30 a couple of mornings. The really cool thing is that Whistler buses have a ski rack to carry your skis to your destination.

So, the maps are now starting to make sense, I know that I can take a bus to Creekside, and even beyond. All of this planning is starting to make it feel real and closer to a dream come true and I really must thank Woodsy, as she is the one who is a planner. I would be scrambling on Feb 10 to figure out what to take with me.

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know most of the newer Whistler buses do not have rakes - you just carry your skis onto the bus! :-) Have fun

    ReplyDelete