Monday, March 1, 2010

Final Days




Woodsy -
To update you on the last couple of days in Whistler ... on Wednesday, Beadraich and I spent several hours in the Village buying souvenirs. On Wednesday night, we went to see Women's Bobsleigh finals. You were able to get so close to the actual track! We saw Canada get a Gold and Silver. AMAZING! The crowd broke out in O Canada as we were leaving the Sliding Centre. Once again, tears in my eyes. As Beadraich previously mentioned, we skiied with our hosts at Whistler on Thursday. Once again, skiing was amazing! Powder staches everywhere. As we skiied through them, we all yelled "whohoo", except for me because I didn't have a voice. I would do a fist pump and then try to squeak out a "whohoo" at end of the run! Skiing in BC through powpow is so different than skiing on Ontario ice! We went out for dinner with a new friend from Toronto (originally from KW) and then walked around the Village. The vibe in the Village has been unreal. On Friday we went skiing with Beadraich's cousin. Lindsay Vonn got in the gondola before us. She was very focused because she had a race in about 1/2 hour. On Friday night, our hosts had a farewell dinner for all of us with their daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter. It was great spending our final night with everyone including Graydon. Graydon had an amazing job! Everyone asks if I met any athletes or famous people. Graydon did this several times a day, every day! Lots of athletes, chef Michael Smith, Princess of Leichtenstein.
We were on the bus early on Saturday morning to Vancouver. Luckily, the trip home was uneventful.
This whole experience was unbelieveable. We met so many people and are definitely going to keep in touch with them. The hours were long but it was worth it and so much more. It made me very proud to be Canadian. It was wonderful to be able to pick up and go for 2 1/2 weeks and not worry about anything. Thanks to so many people for making this possible for me...my parents, my brother, my boss, my friends, Pat and Elly our hosts. Thank you to Graydon for being a great travel companion and friend. Especially to Beadraich for entertaining my crazy idea to apply for the Olympics and for having the same energy level to always keep busy and see how much we can fit into a day! I think it was our best trip!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, guys! What a wonderful experience for you (and for me, vicariously)! I look forward to seeing you and hearing some of your stories "live".

    ReplyDelete