Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Dream Begins


Beadraich - For those who don't know me, I'm Michael Bennett, a resident of Guelph, Ontario. After over a year and a half of interviews, security checks and waiting, i've accepted a volunteer position with the Alpine team of the Vancouver Olympics. I don't really know what exactly I will be doing other than helping with the "Race Course" at Whistler Creekside.

My Girlfriend was the one who started this whole idea by mentioning offhandedly one evening that it would an interesting contribution to our country and the whole world to volunteer. Having just read that Workopolis was handling the Volunteer recruitment, we talked about it and both agreed that it would be a great experience, but impossible to justify the expense of arranging accomodation in and around Whistler. A couple of days after this conversation, a friend and co-worker mentioned that his mom was looking for someone to rent her place in Whistler during the Olympics, and did I know anyone who might be interesting in going. Instantly, I knew that this exciting adventure had begun. Within a week, or applications had been submitted, and we were eagerly awaiting the first step... A phone interview.

This blog location is going to be primarily to allow me to communicate home during the Olympics to my many friends, and family who will be wanting updates to know how we are doing. Stay tuned for a continuation of the story about what contributed to my GF and I now knowing we are going to VANOC 2010 as volunteers.

No comments:

Post a Comment